Press Operator Position at H&H Graphics
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt (eligible for overtime pay)
Responsible for setting up and operating screen printing press (manual or automatic), according to written and/or verbal instructions, established company procedures, and safety and quality guidelines. Capable of solving printing problems, making adjustments to mechanical or manual operation of press to maintain quality, registration, color, viscosity and production speed at optimum. Has good understanding of inks, solvents and substrates and can print UV, conventional or water based inks and coatings on a variety of substrates by performing the following duties personally or in conjunction with assigned assistant personnel.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Receives production order and job assignments from supervisor or manager. Reads job ticket carefully in order to verify quantity to be printed, overrun tolerance, ink or coatings and materials to be used, substrate and any other job notes.
- If provided, reviews prior run information to determine press parameters including tension, angle, speed, dryer temperature, etc. Sets up according to previously run parameters unless notes indicate deviation is required or Supervisor or Manager approves a change in approach.
- Obtains production screen and checks for proper matching to job and quality of screen.
- Places production screen on press and properly aligns, positions and secures.
- Obtains all necessary supplies, inks or coatings, stock, squeegee, thinner or other related supplies needed to produce the job.
- Tests the registration of the print design by allowing the press to cycle (automatically or manually) and printing on make ready stock or scrap materials, making adjustments as necessary, until results are satisfactory. When results are satisfactory, secures Supervisor or equivalent approval for production run.
- Prints job maintaining optimum production rate, density/viscosity, registration and quality standard within established company and customer guidelines. Inspects, pulls out and separately retains all sheets determined to be unsatisfactory for any reason.
- Solves printing problems or press issues as necessary. If unable to solve or address problems, gets Supervisor or Manager immediately.
- Directs the work of the press helper(s), racker(s), catcher(s) and/or inspector(s).
- Completes production records accurately and completely including press log book and job ticket.
- Ensures cleanliness and cares for press, work station and immediate press area.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Skills Required
- Able to perform each essential duty above satisfactorily and demonstrate conduct and abilities in accordance with company policies, procedures, safety practices and applicable laws.
- Demonstrates good judgment of design and print quality.
- Has the ability to read, write, verbalize and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos in English.
- Exhibits ability to effectively verbalize, communicate and present information in English to individuals and small groups including customers and other employees of the organization.
- Evidences strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Mathematical ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, understand units of measure and apply concepts such as fractions, weights, formulas, percentages, ratios and proportions to printing jobs.
- Reasoning ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions.
While performing this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, use hands to write, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk and sit. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel or crouch. The employee must regularly lift or move up to 25 lbs. and occasionally lift or move up to 50 lbs. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee will primarily work in a manufacturing / shop floor environment. While performing this job, the employee will be regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and heat. The employee will also be exposed to ink / printing fumes which are either non-toxic or generally considered safe, and some toxic chemicals in limited quantities. The noise level is usually moderate to loud.
Wages will be commensurate with experience and market rates. Company provided and optional benefits will be offered in accordance with policies.
If you are interested in applying, please send your resume and relevant work experience to email@example.com