Countdowns, cliffhangers, surprise parties: Nothing is more exciting than a big “reveal.” Like a magician’s trick, reveals can use ordinary tools to create an extraordinary outcome. They can also turn a run-of-the-mill promotional campaign into a powerful means of consumer engagement.
Advertisers began experimenting with sensory marketing in the 1940s and 50s by using giant billboards and “jingles” as cars and home TVs gained popularity. Instead of appeals based on unexciting factors like cost and utility, sensory marketing appeals to life experience, memory, and emotional impulse. “Reveals” can take this effect to even higher levels of engagement by building mystery and anticipation into the process.
When it comes to special effects screen printing, a reveal can take almost any form. From scratch-offs to messages activated by heat, light or even water, there are unlimited ways to engage customers and capture their attention. Here are a few of our favorites:
- SnapShot: Specially developed by H&H, SnapShot is created using a proprietary UV coating, hiding a secret message that only appears when exposed to a camera flash. Often used to appeal to younger consumers, this reveal is perfect for launching a social media campaign: your audience will take flash photos and share them online.
- Water Reveal:Water-activated promotions use a special ink that reveals itself when it comes into contact with water. A memorable addition to a variety of promotions, from beach-themed promotions to advertising for casinos, beverages and more, water reveals add a new layer to customer interaction.
- Scratch Off and Scented Effects: While scratch-off printing is often connected to gaming promotions, it can have a wide variety of applications, especially when combined with scented printing and multi-colored ink overlays. By invoking multiple senses, scratch-offs stimulate engagement – and sales.
- Photochromic and Thermochromic Effects: Photo and thermochromic reveals have similar visual appeal. Photochromic ink reacts to different light sources and can create the illusion of changing colors depending on the environment. Thermochromic inks are heat-activated and will change colors depending on temperature, as when touched.
- Glow-in-the-Dark Effects: Hidden messages or images revealed when the lights go out can be even more dramatic when combined with other sensory effects, like texture, glitter and scent.
Our Webinar Will Reveal Even More … Sign Up Now!
Combining sensory marketing and cutting-edge design innovation, special effect reveals are a powerful tool for driving consumer engagement. With unique draws that can be used to promote specific industries, themed events, or appeal to target audiences, reveals amplify your message and create a lasting impression.
Would you like to learn more about reveals and other multisensory special effects that can dramatically increase your print ROI? Join H&H CEO Michelle Leissner at 12 p.m. ET / 1 p.m. CT on Oct. 24 for a free webinar where she will walk you through the science and the possibilities of state-of-the-art, multisensory special effects.
Brand managers and commercial printers are invited to take advantage of this unique opportunity to learn best practices and explore case studies for incorporating multisensory special effects printing techniques into packaging and promotions. With impossible-to-ignore sensory combinations, you will learn how to leave your competitors’ products fading into the shadows.
Register for this powerful opportunity here. Or click on the link below for more information.